Following on from my previous blog http://ictexecs.com/blog/2014/09/11/use-wordpress-best-platform-building-business-website/ WordPress helped non-experts who want to build and maintain their own websites in a very cost effective (OK cheap) way. Before WordPress they had to either write their sites with clunky, proprietary site-builder software, or use expensive and difficult to learn packages like Dreamweaver which could require an understanding of often difficult to grasp languages and code such as HTML and CSS.
Now with WordPress it is all about the ‘content’ and nothing else, while someone else provides the technology, design, look and feel = ‘enabling software’, called themes and plugins. The great thing is that the software like WordPress, many themes and plugins are ‘open source’= free and can be downloaded for free from sites, like http://wordpress.org
WordPress makes it possible to build of a well-structured website (or blog or shop or magazine, etc.) therefore making the job of search engines easier – so they can find you on the internet!!
So WordPress is recommended by me because:
- It is easy to learn
- It is stable
- It is used by millions of people around the globe
- It scales (gets bigger) well
- It is simple, (and very flexible)
- Developers love working with it, (there are lots of developers and support people worldwide to help you)
- It has a huge range of free and premium themes which can add functionality and style to your site
- It has a vast selection of plugins that can add new features and tricks to your site
- If you do learn html, css or php you can extend what you’ve got
As you learn more about WordPress you’ll learn a lot about what it can (and can’t) do.
So why pick anything else (after nearly 30 years in the IT industry, with years developing and supporting software and systems) I do not recommend software lightly.
But I do recommend WordPress to build your business website – Simple.